Monday, May 10, 2010

Chapter 6

At noon, Richie and I were at the cemetery. We walked arm in arm to the family plot. I stood at the headstone and looked down at my parents' final resting spot. Tears prickled my eyes, so I put my head down as tears ran down my face. I felt Richie put his arm around my waist and pulled me to his shoulder. I held onto him for a while and then a part of a conversation Richie and I had came back to me. “You can't dwell on the fact that they are gone. You will drive yourself crazy.” I straightened up, looked up at Richie and smiled. He smiled back. I backed out of his embrace and walked to the headstone. I plucked out the grass that was growing around it and ran my hand over the names on the headstone: John, Lee and Allison Shepard. I bowed my head and whispered “Goodbye, I love you all.” I stood up on shaky legs and walked back over to where Richie was standing. “Ready?” he asked. I nodded, not trusting my voice at the moment and arm in arm, Richie and I walked back to the truck. As we drove away, I watched in the mirror as I left my family for the last time. Richie leaned over and grabbed my hand and squeezed it in silent support. I squeezed back and looked over, smiling slightly. I knew he was there for me and I appreciated it.

When we arrived at the school, I dreaded going in. This was where I was tormented so much that I retreated behind a mile high wall. What would people say if I walked in with Richie? They wouldn't realize that he is my godfather...he looked young. Oh good Lord, the rumors that are going to fly! But wait! I won't be coming back. I walked into that school with my head held high with Richie walking in behind me with his arm around my shoulders, protecting me and supporting me silently. I was glad he was here. I could hear the whispers starting already and I faltered slightly. Richie looked down and said “You're doing great, Syd. Keep your chin up and don't let the get to you.” I nodded, looking up at him and smiling. I straightened my shoulders and we walked quickly to Mr Wilson's office. I knocked and waited for him to answer, which didn't take long. He looked shocked to see me there. “Sydney!” he exclaimed, reaching down and hugging me. I could feel Richie tense up beside me. Mr Wilson pulled us into his office and closed the door. “Mr Wilson, this is Richie Sambora, my Godfather. He's the one I will be staying with.” I said. He smiled at Richie and stuck his hand out for Richie to take. After a moments hesitation, Richie shook his hand. You could see the wariness in his eyes. I wondered why. “So nice to meet you. I hope you will take good care of Syd,” Mr Wilson said, smiling warmly at me. “She's one of my favourite students. I just love when she comes to my class.” He said, looking at me and winking. Richie stiffened and placed his arm around my waist. “Mr Wilson, Richie lives in New Jersey, so I will be moving there with him.” I said, looking up at Richie for confirmation. He nodded and grinned. “Oh. Well that's too bad. I was hoping that you would be able to still come here! I'm gonna miss you!” Richie looked at him through narrowed eyes. Why was Richie acting like this? I wondered, and why is he acting so protective? Mr Wilson and I chatted for a while, like old times. Richie constantly had his arm around my waist protectively. If Mr Wilson noticed anything weird about Richie, he didn't let on. When Richie and I said we had to go, Mr Wilson asked to speak to me privately. Richie looked down at me, eyes full of questions. I just nodded at him, looking in his eyes. I followed Mr Wilson out to the hallway.

“So how are you really, Syd?” he asked. I just looked at him and said “You already asked me that.” He looked at me shocked and said “Well, yeah, but did you answer truthfully?”

“Do you think I'd lie?” I asked, getting slightly angry. Who did he think he was?

“Well I didn't expect you to tell the truth with him there” He said, jerking his thumb toward Richie. I almost exploded.

“Do you think I would lie to you simply because Richie is there? No. I wouldn't. Because he is a good man and so are you for that matter. Why are you acting like this?” I asked, close to tears.

“I'm worried about you Syd.” He said, looking into my eyes, searching for any inkling that I was lying. I let him search, I had nothing to hide.

“I trust Richie.” I said in a dangerous voice. “And I trust you. Is there some problem that you two need to work out?” I asked glaring at him. When did I get so protective of Richie?

“I don't like him, Syd, He looks like a rocker.”

“He IS a rocker, Mr Wilson. He plays guitar in Bon Jovi.” Mr Wilson looked at me like I had grown a third head.

“You are willing to move to a new state with someone who plays in a rock band?” Mr Wilson asked, disbelieving.

“Yes I am.” I said simply. “I trust him. I don't care if you like him or not. My dad trusted him and thats good enough for me.” I continued. “I thought you were different than this, Mr Wilson. I really did. If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered to come here today.” He looked sad.

“I'm sorry, Syd. I'm just feeling protective. I mean, you've been through a lot in this past month. Moving up here, the accident. Moving up here is hard enough, but losing your family on top of that?” He shook his head. “I'm just worried about you, Syd.”

I looked at him shocked. “If you are worried about me, then trust Richie. He has been taking very good care of me. He's going through much the same as I am. Dad was like a brother to him, and he lost that. They had been through a lot of stuff together. I'm going with him, Mr Wilson, whether you like it or not. I just came to say goodbye. You were the only teacher here to understand me and help me. I don't want to leave on negative terms with you.” I said, looking him in the eye and bracing myself. He just nodded and pulled me into a hug. I wasn't a student anymore so it wasn't a big deal. We broke apart and he stuck his and out and said, “Friends?” I nodded “Friends”.

No comments:

Post a Comment